Dear Bay Chapter Colleagues,
For every documented act of racism, there are innumerably more overt acts and microaggressions that go unnoticed by the majority towards black and brown people. This is not ok and it must stop. This conversation is about pain, the words spoken, decisions made, opinions formed, and policies enacted that created the racial and ethnic disparities we see in the Tampa Bay area and across our nation. We live in a society where black and brown people are more likely to become infected with COVID-19, more likely to be employed in the lowest-paying jobs in our economy, and compose only 4% of the psychologists in the U.S. workforce. To quote former President George W. Bush, "How do we end systemic racism in our society? The only way to see ourselves in a true light is to listen to the voices of so many who are hurting and grieving. Those who set out to silence those voices do not understand the meaning of America - or how it becomes a better place."
· If doing speaks to you, act here.
· If voting speaks to you, vote here.
· If donating speaks to you, donate here, here, or here.
· If video speaks to you, watch it here or here.
· If reading speaks to you, read it here or here.
· If continuing education speaks to you, learn it here or here.
· If meeting with your fellow Bay Chapter psychologist colleagues to have uncomfortable conversations about the reality that your black and brown clients, friends, family members, and loved ones experience, then join with us.
Bay Chapter Turning Point Book Club: "White Rage" by Carol Anderson on Friday July 24th 12:30PM-2:30PM
- We are starting a new video telehealth book club series for Bay Chapter members. We want to create a safe space for difficult dialogue to discuss the challenges facing black and brown people in the Tampa Bay area and across our nation. We are not all the same and no viewpoint will be silenced. Our goal is to allow members to engage in true, honest, and authentic conversation. We want conversation that allows you to say what you are thinking and feeling in order to facilitate mutual understanding of the black and brown experience. We want to bring the science of racism to the community and that starts with us.
- As a member benefit, Bay Chapter members can receive a FREE copy of the book "White Rage" by Carol Anderson courtesy of the Bay Chapter. You must complete the registration form below by June 19th in order to receive your FREE book in the Amazon Kindle electronic format or as a paperback shipped to the address you provide below.
- Registration deadline for your free book is Friday June 19th, 2020.
- Register to obtain your free copy of the book here: https://forms.gle/PY8yH6eJZzAfVVuX9
- Registration for the Zoom meeting will be forthcoming.
We also want to fully acknowledge that systemic problems need systemic solutions. Black and brown people are hurting. Black and brown communities are hurting and they are exhausted. This book club is only one small part of the work ahead to correct the racial and ethnic disparities in our community. As former President Barack Obama said, "Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
People change and systems change because of the people.